Finding a good carry-on suitcase is a monumental task, and Delta’s tighter restrictions on the size of carry-on luggage five years ago led me on an Odyssean-like journey to find a new one. Ultimately, I selected the Lipault Paris 22″ Upright 4-Wheeled Carry-On (now called the Original Plume Spinner 55/20). After more than 5 years and nearly 100 flights with this bag, it is still my go-to for every flight.
There is so much to love about this bag!
- Size: While this bag looked so tiny to me right out of the box, I was surprised at how much it holds! The soft-sided structure works in your favor, as it molds to the shape of how you’re packing rather than forcing you to play an epic game of Tetris with everything you’re packing.
- Durability: Made of a nylon twill, this suitcase is thick and sturdy while still being beautiful (and the color – oh my!). I also love that it is lightweight while not being flimsy. These zippers have also held up to my extreme overpacking–bonus!
- Roll-a-bility: This being my first four-wheel suitcase, I was absolutely delighted at how easy it was to steer it down the aisle on the plane.
While I love this bag, I have had two minor inconveniences that are worth noting.
- Scuffs: On my first flight with the bag, it got giant scuff right down the middle of the front panel. I was bummed that the material would scuff so easily, but it’s entirely possible that it just got snagged on something in the overhead bin on that flight. Five years later, it has a few more blemishes, but not nearly enough to make it look anywhere close to ragged. It’s actually held up amazingly well.
- Screws: The other issue I had with the bag was the screws coming out of the back for the retractable handle casing. Note that this didn’t really affect the functionality of the bag. At first, this was easily fixed by unzipping the inside lining and reattaching them. But five years later, I have lost both screws and stopped trying to replace them.
Things to Note:
With a 4-wheel, soft-sided suitcase, I recommend packing heavy stuff like shoes at the bottom of the suitcase, near the wheels. While I personally haven’t had any issues with the suitcase tipping over, others have. I just feel like it is more easily steered with the heavier items at the bottom.
Another potential pitfall is that overstuffing it is VERY easy. Since the shape shifts a bit depending on how you’re packing, it’s easy to put too much in and have it be too bulging to fit in the carry-on bag checks.
- 4 multi-directional wheels
- Large front zippered pocket
- Extendable pull handle
- Comfortable top and side carry handles
- ID tag
- Large zippered pocket
- Small zippered pocket
- Adjustable straps to secure clothing
- Protective lining
- Body Dimensions: 20.6″ x 13.2″ x 7.9″
- Overall Dimensions: 21.6″ x 14.9″ x 9.4″
- Weight: 5 lbs
Where to Buy:
I originally purchased the Lipault Paris 22″ Upright 4-Wheeled Carry-On. The most comparable model they offer now on the Lipault website is the Lipault Original Plume Spinner 55/20. Below is a list of where to buy:
I have not been paid or compensated for this review.